2019 Four Nations Tournament - Grand Masters (Over 60)

Countesswells Playing Fields, 233 Countesswells Rd, Aberdeen AB15 8AR on 24, 25 and 26 May 2019

The 2019 Four Nations tournament takes place at Countesswells Playing Fields, Aberdeen from Friday 24 to Sunday 26 May.

Scotland Grand Masters had finished third behind England and Ireland in the 2018 event in Dublin and were anxious to improve on that position on their home turf.

On the first day of the tournament, Scotland had a disappointing start, losing 1-0 to a field goal scored in the 22nd minute by Irishman William Haughton, the ball taking a massive deflection on the way in.

On the second day, Scotland Grand Masters beat Wales 1-0 in a tight match, Gurdial Duhre scoring the decisive goal in the third quarter to make the score 1-0. The match was notable for a series of green cards which left Scotland with only eight men on the pitch shortly after the beginning of the second half. First Arthur Robertson was given a green card for failing to inject within three seconds of the whistle at a short corner, a highly controversial interpretation of the new FIH International Tournament Regulations, then with Scotland furiously defending with ten men, green cards were issued in quick succession to Gurdial Duhre and Alistair Hay. Fortunately Wales failed completely to take advantage of their numerical supremacy and failed to mount a sustained power play before the Scots were back up to eleven on the field.

In the final match of the tournament, Scotland Grand Masters played out of their skins against England and only a missed penalty kept them from recording their first ever win over England - a 1-1 draw while Wales and Ireland drew left Scotland in second place on goal difference with Ireland in third place as England retained the trophy. Things looked ominous in the first quarter, England pinning back Scotland who found it difficult even to move the ball out of their own 23 with a strong English press giving the Scots no time on the ball. Still, England carved out few chances until the very end of the quarter, when a ball fizzed from right to left across the Scottish circle was lashed into the net by Rob Leach coming in off the left wing. It could not be denied that England were worth their lead. With only two minutes between quarters to effect a rearrangement, Scottish Coach Adam McInnes worked wonders on his players and the second quarter was much more even, with Scotland beginnng to play good, possession hockey and working their way up the pitch, though without seriously troubling the English defence.

The improvement continued into the second half, and Scotland began to press more and more, forcing England into defensive mode and winning penalty corners. England began for the first time to look rattled and, in their attempts to take back control, started to give away fouls which resulted in three yellow cards, at one point being down to nine men. Into the fourth quarter, Scotland were thrown a lifeline when a penalty flick was awarded - it was not obvious for what offence but England did not protest. Alan Kerr stepped up to take the flick and put the ball high into the England net, but the umpire correctly disallowed the goal because the England goalkeeper had moved after the whistle but before the ball was flicked. No doubt unnerved with having what would have been a perfectly good goal ruled out, Alan's retake was a pale shadow of his first attempt and David Webb in the England goal had the simplest of tasks in saving it. Both sides may have had a case in feeling hard done by in the umpiring decisions, some for technical issues, but the umpire's decision is final, and England were made to pay when their Captain Mark Precious was sent to the defaulter seat for a second time and Alistair Hay picked up a cut back and netted from close range to level the score in the 59th minute (though there were still a good five minutes to play because of all the stoppages in the quarter). Scotland finished on the ascendancy but, with no further scoring and the need to beat England by 3-1 or better, the trophy went once more to England. Ireland drew with Wales on Pitch 2 and finished level on points with Scotland, who claimed second place on goal difference.


Friday 24 May 18:00

Pitch 1 Scotland Flag Scotland 0  All Ireland Flag Ireland 1

Pitch 2 Welsh Flag Wales 1 England Flag England 2

Saturday 25 May 12:00

Pitch 1 Welsh Flag Wales 0 Scotland Flag Scotland 1 (Duhre)

Pitch 2 England Flag England 3 All Ireland Flag Ireland 0

Sunday 26 May 12:35

Pitch 1 Scotland Flag Scotland 1 (A. Hay) England Flag England 1

Pitch 2  All Ireland Flag Ireland 1 Welsh Flag Wales 1

Altiusrt results and information

Grand Masters











3 2 1 0 6 2 7 4


3 1 1 1 2 2 4 0


3 1 1 1 2 4 4 -2


3 0 1 2 2 4 2 -2

Scotland Squad

Derek Bell, John Bennett, John Candlin, ​​​​​Scott Chisholm (GK), Gurdial Duhre, ​​​​​Ben Gibson, Murray Graham (GK)​​​​, Ally Hay​​​​, ​​​​​John Hay​​​​, Derek Johnstone​​​​,​​​​ Alan Kerr, Gordon Mackenzie (C), Glenn Paton, Arthur Robertson, ​​​​Davie Rowlands, ​​​​Neil Sharp​​​​​, Niall Sturrock, Billy Taylor.